Private Crete: Made In Chania Shopping Tour
We’ll start your private Chania tour the local way: with a coffee and a taste of one of the most traditional pastries of Crete, in the most traditional place in town. We’ll enjoy a bit of bougatsa (a cheese-filled pastry) in a shop that’s been loved by locals for years. Fuelled up after our breakfast, we’ll drive in a private vehicle for about 15 minutes to reach our destination: a unique part of...
We’ll start your private Chania tour the local way: with a coffee and a taste of one of the most traditional pastries of Crete, in the most traditional place in town. We’ll enjoy a bit of bougatsa (a cheese-filled pastry) in a shop that’s been loved by locals for years. Fuelled up after our breakfast, we’ll drive in a private vehicle for about 15 minutes to reach our destination: a unique part of town that’s completely dedicated to the work of local artisans. You’ll visit several of the artisans who live and work in this area, and learn about the importance and local impact that crafts such as pottery and clay have had in the history of the island. You’ll also get to test out your own artistic skills, at a ceramics workshop! Talk to the local artist about their techniques and browse through their unique pieces. You’ll learn tips and tricks for finding the best and most authentic souvenirs, so the next time you’re out shopping in Chania, you’ll know what to look for. We’ll uncover various works such as religious paintings, handmade jewellry and unique objects made of wood, glass or other more unusual materials. By the end of this Chania shopping tour, you’ll have a better understanding of the authentic crafts of Crete, and how they represent the island’s local culture (If you’d prefer to travel as part of a regular group experience, please book our Made in Chania group tour.) This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- Meet artisans in their workshops, in an area of chania dedicated to art and craftwork
- Learn about the production of handmade objects that are typical to local culture
- Put your own artistic skills to the test while learning about pottery, painting and more
- Support local artists by shopping for authentic, handmade souvenirs by local people
- Enjoy a traditional breakfast of coffee and pastry at a beloved local spot
- Local impact: how you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- Your tour visits locally-run businesses, such as a ceramic artisan, which helps to preserve traditional crafts for the next generation.
- Your tour also supports the creativity of greece’s new generation of artisans by vsiting stores of young greek designers.
- By promoting the work of local artists and their enterprises, your tour works to support them financially.
Municipal Market of Chania (Agora). Your guide will be standing in front of the market building. GPS coordinates: 35.514602, 24.020319 View on Google Maps.
You can cancel for a full refund up to 72 hours before the start of your experience. If you do not show up for the experience or fail to cancel at least 72 hours in advance, you will not receive a refund.