Lonely Planet Experiences Private San Francisco Tour: Flavors & Murals of the Mission
2 hr, 30 min
Your private Mission food tour will kick off the only way we know how at 9:30 am – with coffee and donuts! But these aren’t just any donuts. These are artisan hoops of heaven! They’re locally sourced, made with organic, sustainable ingredients to create an eclectic selection ranging from bacon maple apple, to chocolate rose or even lemon and thyme. Enjoy a donut and a cup o’ joe with your local guide as they introduce...
Your private Mission food tour will kick off the only way we know how at 9:30 am – with coffee and donuts! But these aren’t just any donuts. These are artisan hoops of heaven! They’re locally sourced, made with organic, sustainable ingredients to create an eclectic selection ranging from bacon maple apple, to chocolate rose or even lemon and thyme. Enjoy a donut and a cup o’ joe with your local guide as they introduce you to the neighbourhood and its legendary food scene. Your next stop on this SF food tour is a local panaderia, a Mexican bakery that captures the Latino culture and charm that is everywhere in the Mission district. Here you can choose from a selection of pan dulce, or Mexican sweet bread, made daily in the bakery. To wash that all down, you can also try an agua fresca, a blended fruit drink that is sure to refresh. Fully stocked up on energy after your breakfast, we’ll continue our tour towards the murals along Balmy Avenue. This area’s artistic roots date back over 30 years, giving us plenty to chat about. Your guide will give you the scoop on the murals we’ll find here and what they mean to this neighbourhood. Whether they’re describing the plight of migrant workers from Latin America, oppression in Nicaragua, or the gentrification of the mission District itself, the multitude of murals along Balmy Avenue each have a special story to share and your local guide will make time for you to soak in all the beautiful artwork. Next up, pie time! Whether you’re up for some strawberry rhubarb, or perhaps you fancy a roasted cauliflower and black olive quiche made with free range eggs, organic milk, and cream, you’re sure to find your slice of happiness in the local spot we take you to. Having tasted these delights, we’ll hop on a bus to travel a few minutes down the heart of Mission Street itself and make our way to one of the oldest and most beloved taquerias in the neighbourhood. Here you can sample a carne asada, al pastor, or another of this spot’s famous tacos – a must-try in the Mission! We’ll continue to tour SF onwards to Clarion Alley, where we’ll find the second largest collection of murals in the Mission. It might be more contemporary than Balmy Avenue, but Clarion Alley shares the same vibrant stories and is lined with lots of colourful graffiti. We dare you to try and pick your favourite – it’ll be difficult! Our final section of the tour will take you to the centre of the hipster scene, where we’ll check out the Mission’s best thrift stores, grab a last snack at one of the trendiest bakeries in San Francisco, and then we’ll head to Dolores Park, finishing up at the Mission Dolores church itself. We’ll conclude your food tour here, the perfect spot for you to continue to spend as much time as you like learning about the history and stories that built San Francisco. (If you’d prefer to travel as part of a regular group experience, please book our Flavors & Murals of the Mission group tour.) This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- Get to know the uber-cool locals of the mission
- Sample artisan donuts, mexican pastries, tasty pies, and other delicious local snacks!
- Stroll by some of the mission’s best street art and learn about its history from an expert local guide
- Hear stories of how the mission came to be and what makes this neighbourhood so unique
- Wander through dolores park and finish your local tour at the famous mission dolores church
- Each lonely planet experience comes with six-months free access to lonely planet’s guides app which includes over 8,000 destinations guides and unbeatable discounts to lonely planet guidebooks
- Local impact: how you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- You will visit five locally-owned food establishments based in the mission district, san francisco's latinx neighborhood. here, you'll delve into a diverse community that is often overlooked by traditional travellers. try tacos or pupusas from latinx-owned and operated restaurants, keeping money in the hands of minority entrepreneurs in an increasingly gentrifying area.
- You will also explore dozens of murals produced in collaboration with precita eyes foundation, which provides youth with arts education and empowers budding artists as well as supporting established artists.
- Become socially aware through the art of the clarion alley mural project, which gives a voice to marginalized communities.
- Enjoy delicious artisan ice cream from bi-rite creamery, whose mission is to connect the community to its food sources by collaborating with local dairies and farms.
Dynamo Donuts, 2760 24th St, San Francisco, CA 94110
You can cancel for a full refund up to 72 hours before the start of your experience. If you do not show up for the experience or fail to cancel at least 72 hours in advance, you will not receive a refund.