Lonely Planet Experiences: San Jose Tapas, Traditional Masks and Escazu Visit
Setting off from the beautiful National Theatre Building, you’ll instantly fall in love with San Jose’s beauty. Fortunately, this city has so much more to offer, so you still have loads to look forward to! Together we’ll stroll the ‘route of the churches’ passing historical churches like the Cathedral and La Merced and your guide will fill you in on the history behind the graffiti that you’ll see along the way, giving you a taste...
Setting off from the beautiful National Theatre Building, you’ll instantly fall in love with San Jose’s beauty. Fortunately, this city has so much more to offer, so you still have loads to look forward to! Together we’ll stroll the ‘route of the churches’ passing historical churches like the Cathedral and La Merced and your guide will fill you in on the history behind the graffiti that you’ll see along the way, giving you a taste of contemporary Costa Rican life. After our walk through the historical center of San Jose, we’ll board public transport and make our way to one of the oldest cities in Costa Rica, Escazu, known for its spooky witch-related folklore. On our way to the city of the witches, you’ll spot La Sabana Metropolitan Park, which used to be the San Jose international airport. Full of knowledge, secrets, and inspiration, we’ll shift gears to delicious, authentic Costa Rican cuisine. We’ll venture to a 100-year-old restaurant that’s known for its traditional fare, and where you’ll get a real taste of Costa Rica, with a choice of over 20 different Costa Rican tapas! After lunch, we’ll taste chicha, a traditional local drink that has been enjoyed for hundreds of years. Our beverage will also prepare us for one of the coolest local traditions: Costa Rican masks and masquerade, and we’re taking you straight to the legends. We’ll pay a visit to a legendary local master’s house, where three generations of the same family have been making some of the country’s most beautiful masks for celebrations and special holidays. Here we’ll be privy to his creative genius, and he’ll let us in on the family’s secrets for making Costa Rica’s most famous masks. By the end of this San Jose tour, you’ll feel so much like a local, we bet you’ll be speaking Costa Rican Spanish and everything!
- Visit the legendary porras bakery don fernando and chat with its charismatic owner, better known by the locals as ‘nando’
- Walk the spiritual route of churches and learn the rich local history of catholicism
- Experience the lively atmosphere of the central market, and ride like a local about public transport
- Visit a legendary masquerade family, renowned for their traditional costa rican masks
- Feast on authentic local cuisine in a 100-year-old restaurant
- Enjoy a sample of traditional chicha as well as a coffee tasting
- Each lonely planet experience comes with six-months free access to lonely planet’s guides app which includes over 8,000 destinations guides and unbeatable discounts to lonely planet guidebooks.
- Local impact: how you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- In escazu, you will learn about local folklore and meet with local artisans, giving you a look into local culture that you might not get on your own.
- You will visit a a legendary masquerade family where three generations have been making some of the country’s most beautiful masks for celebrations and special holidays. by participating in this tour, you are helping to preserve local cultural heritage and traditions.
- This tour will take you to locally-owned, traditional restaurants, where you will try a range of local produce and organic coffee.
Main entrance of the National Theatre (Teatro Nacional de Costa Rica), at 2nd Avenue and 3rd Street, San Jose.
You can cancel for a full refund up to 72 hours before the start of your experience. If you do not show up for the experience or fail to cancel at least 72 hours in advance, you will not receive a refund.